Friday 6 April 2007

Moscow

At the moment I am in Moscow.

I went and paid my respects to Lenin the other day. After queueing up for half an hour or so, and undergoing the security screening, I descended into his tomb. The security was quite intense, you couldn't bring anything at all into the tomb, they only allowed mobiles if it didn't have a camera. You had to keep your hands out of your pockets and in view the entire time you were 'in the presence'. The soldiers on guard must be paid extra to keep the same stern expression on their face all day, and you would think after years of hanging out with a dead body you would have a slightly warped sense of humor, but none of them looked in the slightest bit amused when I waved to Lenin.

The man himself was lying in a glass coffin, and illuminated brightly in a dark room. Many people have said he looks like a wax model, and that may be true as he did have a slightly waxy look about him. There are no spots or blemishes on him at all, and his facial hair is impeccably groomed. He looks as if he is peacefully sleeping.




I will be staying in Moscow for two more days, then heading to St Petersberg. I have put a number of photos from the last few weeks up on Flickr, at the time of this post they are not organised but they will be eventually.


No comments: